HOME‎ > ‎District‎ > ‎District History‎ > ‎

Horace Mann/Education Service Center

Built in 1907; Last Classes in 1968; Partially Razed in 1969; ESC renovation in 1974

ESC in 2019

The Horace Mann elementary school at 11th Street and Jennings Avenue was built on a 1.05 acre plot in 1907 for $40,000. A 1929 addition, which included 0.35 more acres of land, cost $16,086. In 1952 all-purpose and special education rooms were added for $87,803.

The school was closed in June 1968 and the original building and the 1929 addition were razed in 1969. The 1952 addition was remodeled into the district Media Center at a cost of $63,860 in 1970 and in 1973 the neighboring property at 1115 S. Keeler was purchased for $7,466.

In 1974 the 1952 addition was remodeled and expanded into the Education Service Center at a cost of $237,128. Some interior finishes were updated in the late 1990s and in 2016-2017.

This facility houses the offices of the superintendent, personnel, business, support services, community relations, and special services. Board of education meetings are also held at the ESC.

It is probable that the facility will be expanded so that Technology Services can relocate to it from its rented space at the Will Rogers Complex by the end of June 2021.

Click images to enlarge them.

Horace Mann in 1910

Horace Mann - 1952 Addition

ESC entrance

ESC Southwest View