HOME‎ > ‎District‎ > ‎District History‎ > ‎

Lincoln

Built in 1914; Last Classes in 1983; Sold in 1984
Lincoln in 1997

This elementary school, with its original entrance near First and Rogers, was constructed in 1914 for $28,600. A 1920 addition cost $31,000, there was a $5,550 addition in 1929, and an all-purpose room was added in 1952 for $78,136. The additions relocated the entrance to Hensley and Penn.

The school closed in 1983 when the new Jane Phillips elementary school opened. It was sold in 1984 to K. Vasudevan and became the home of Service and Technology Corporation in 1986. In 1988 he established the B.L.E.S.S. scholarship in remembrance of this school, its teachers, and students. A $150,000 scholarship fund had been raised by 1994, with much of it coming from Service and Technology and its staff. It provides an interest-free loan to students who pay it back in $100 per month increments after graduation. By 2011, 73 scholarships totalling over $254,000 had been awarded.

Click images to enlarge them.

Original Entrance
Original Entrance

New Entrance
New Entrance from 1952

Lincoln students in 1958 and 1955 with Miss Jane Sullivan
Students in 1958 and 1955 with Miss Jane Sullivan

Lincoln before it closed
Lincoln School before it closed

B.L.E.S.S. Scholarship Recipients in 2011
B.L.E.S.S. Scholarship recipients in 2011