HOME‎ > ‎District‎ > ‎District History‎ > ‎

Shawnee Field/Transportation & Maintenance

Acquired in 1937; Warehouse Built in 1956; Richard Kane School Built in 1985
North view in 2017

Shawnee Athletic Field began in 1937 with a 2.89 acre plot purchased for $1,500. The next year about 18 acres were added for $2,950 and in 1939 one more lot was added for $300. Over time the district also used the area for storage, bus parking, and maintenance operations.

A warehouse was built in 1956 for $66,244 with a garage added in 1962 and additional food and custodial storage added in 1969 for $39,000. 1972 brought more food storage for $1,985 and an additional parking shed for $3,812. A toilet and laundry addition in 1979 cost $15,000. The school bus garage was built in 1963 for $111,041.

Richard Kane Elementary School was built on Shawnee Field in 1985. The warehouse and transportation facilities here received $199,418 of damage in Bartlesville's disastrous 1986 flood. The warehouse was later moved to Limestone. Buildings and grounds operations were relocated here from the Limestone facility in early 2007.

A sloped metal roof was added, perhaps around 2013.

Click images to enlarge them.

Transportation & Maintenance in 1997
Transportation center in 1997 at east end with garages

Maintenance side in 2017
Western maintenance end of the center in 2017 after sloped metal roof added; warehouse wing shown in right background

Bus barn
Part of the 1963 bus barn and lot in 1997