Biology II AP Curriculum Page
- Cellular Metabolism
- What are coupled reactions?
- What is the role of ATP in coupling the cell's anabolic and catabolic processes?
- How does chemiosmosis function in bioenergetics?
- Fermentation and cellular respiration
- How do catabolic pathways break down organic molecules?
- What is the role of oxygen in energy-yielding pathways?
- How do cells generate ATP in the absence of oxygen?
- Describe principals of energy conservation
- Cells must recycle of ATP
- Coupled oxidation and reduction reactions release energy
- Describe the process of cellular respiration
- Describe process of glycolysis, where it occurs in the cell, and the amount of energy released
- Substrate-level phosphorylation
- Describe process of Krebs cycle, where it occurs in the cell, and the amount of energy released
- Describe process of electron transport system, where it occurs in the cell, and the amount of energy released
- Fermentation: an alternative pathway
- Describe bacterial cellular metabolism
- Chemotrophic bacteria and vent communities
Suggested Teaching Strategies:
- Students will read and take their own notes on the chapter (maybe in outline form)
- Lecture over redox reactions
- Lecture on substrate-level phosphorylation, and chemiosmosis
- Lecture on glycolysis, fermentation and bacteria generation of energy
- Lecture on Krebs cycle and electron transport system
- Students will fill out crossword puzzle that uses terms from the chapter
- Students will fill out chapter study guide to complement their lecture and board notes
- Students will fill out worksheet on glyolysis, Krebs cycle, and electron transport chain
- Critical Thinking: Students will use computer and do activity on 9.0 thru 9.4 on Cell Respiration on CD Rom from Campbell's Biology
- Lab: Cell Respiration
- Worksheets and study guide chapter ten
- Black line masters of glycolysis, Krebs cycle, electron transport chain
- Transparencies of cellular respiration
- Reading open note quiz over chapters
- Grade on reading quiz
- Grade on study guide unit ten
- Grade on crossword
- Grade on lab write-up
- Unit test ten