Biology II AP Curriculum Page
- How does photosynthesis convert light energy into chemical energy?
- How are the chemical products of the light-trapping reactions coupled to the synthesis of carbohydrates?
- What kinds of photosynthetic adaptations have evolved in response to different environmental conditions?
- What interactions exist between photosynthesis and cellular respiration?
- Describe that plants and other autotrophs are the producers of the biosphere
- Describe structure of a chloroplast
- Explain the photoelectric effect and who developed it
- Explain the pathways of photosynthesis
- Structure of the two main pigments of land plants
- Structure of a leaf
- Overview of light reaction and what happens where
- Overview of Calvin cycle reaction and what happens where
- Overview of Hill or dark reaction and what happens where
- Discuss the mechanics of C4 and C3 plants which are alternatives to harsh climates
Suggested Teaching Strategies:
- Students will read and take their own notes on the chapter (maybe in outline form)
- Lecture over structural characteristics of leaf
- Lecture on food webs, pyramids of energy, pyramids of biomass, and biological concentrations
- Lecture on biochemical cycles, water, oxygen, carbon, etc.
- Lecture on environmental problems, clean water, food and habitat loss
- Students will fill out crossword puzzle that uses terms from the chapter
- Students will fill out chapter study guide to compliment their lecture and board notes
- Students will fill out worksheet on chloroplast structure
- Critical Thinking: Students will use computer and do activity on 50.0 thru 55.4 on Ecology on CD Rom from Campbell's Biology
- Lab: Plant Pigment and Photosynthesis
- Lab: Transpiration
- Lab: External Structure of Plants
- Lab: Cell Structure of Plants - Monocot, Dicot, Stem, Root Tip
- Worksheets and study guide chapter eleven
- Black line masters of worksheet on food chains, ecosystems, biogeochemical cycles
- Transparencies of energy and food pyramids
- Reading open note quiz over chapters
- Grade on reading quiz
- Grade on study guide unit eleven
- Grade on crossword
- Grade on lab write-ups
- Unit test eleven