ChemCom Curriculum Page
Content Standard 1:
Structure and Properties of Matter
- Atoms interact with one another by transferring or sharing outer electrons that are farthest from the nucleus. These outer electrons govern the chemical properties of the element.
- Atoms can react to produce new substances. The formation of molecules results when atoms give, take, or share electrons.
Suggested Teaching Strategies:
- Unit 1.
- B. 6. Ions and Ionic Compounds, Ionic Compounds-Building Skills 4
- B. 7. Water Testing-Laboratory Activity
- C. 4. Dissolving Ionic Compounds, Modeling Matter, Dissolving Ionic Compounds
- D. 5. Water Softening-Laboratory Activity
- Unit 2. C. 3. Atom, Molecule, and Ion Inventory, Molar Masses-Building Skills 8
- Unit 3. A. 6. Modeling Alkanes-Laboratory Activity, Trends in Alkane Boiling Points-Building Skills 2