Honors Chemistry I Curriculum Page
Content Standard 1:
Structure and Properties of Matter
- All matter is made up of atoms. Its structure is made up of repeating patterns and has characteristic properties. Matter is made of atoms and atoms are composed of even smaller components (i.e. protons, neutrons, and electrons).
1st Quarter; 3 weeks
Suggested Teaching Strategies:
- Atomic Structure Unit
- How do we know atoms exist?
- What is the internal structure of atoms?
- How are electrons configured (orbital diagrams and electron configurations)?
- Unit includes Quantum Mechanics
- Core Lab #6: Flame Test Lab
- soaking splints in solutions works better than nichrome wire loops
- solutions used are 10% solutions of KCl, NaCl, LiCl, CaCl2, SrCl2, BaCl2 and CuCl2
- spectrum tubes available for follow-up activity in Physical Science Supply Room at BMH
- ACS Video, "Modeling the Unseen", available in Chem Supply Room at BMH