Honors Chemistry I Curriculum Page
Content Standard 1:
Structure and Properties of Matter
- Atoms interact with one another by transferring or sharing outer electrons that are farthest from the nucleus. These outer electrons govern the chemical properties of the element.
- Atoms can react to produce new substances.
- The formation of molecules results when atoms give, take, or share electrons.
2nd Quarter; 4 weeks
Suggested Teaching Strategies:
- Bonding Units: Ionic Compounds and Covalent Compounds
- Ionic Compounds
- How are ions different from atoms?
- What holds a salt together?
- What are polyatomic ions?
- Covalent Compounds
- Why do some atoms form covalent bonds?
- How are molecules depicted?
- How are molecular shapes determined (VESPR)?
- Molecular model kits are available in the Chem Supply room at BMH