Honors Chemistry I Curriculum Page
Content Standard 1:
Structure and Properties of Matter
- An element is composed of a single type of atom. When elements are listed in order according to their number of protons, repeating patterns of physical and chemical properties identify families of elements with similar properties.
1st Quarter; 3 weeks
Suggested Teaching Strategies:
- Periodic Table Unit
- What makes a group of elements?
- What gives metals their distinctive properties?
- What trends are found in the periodic table?
- Core Lab 7: Nuts and Bolts of Chemistry
- Use hardware to model periodicity and chemical bonding; hardware is available in the Chem Supply Room at BMH
- Chemical Names and Formulas Lab
- ACS video, "Periodic Table," available at BMH