Honors Chemistry I Curriculum Page
Objectives:Scientific problems are solved using a logical process.
Suggested Teaching Strategies:
- Scientific Method Unit (with scientific measuring; at the beginning of the year)
- What is the process of science?
- How do chemists measure quantities?
- How are units converted (dimensional analysis)?
- Core Lab 4: Milk Kaleidoscope
- Core Lab 5: Accuracy and Precision
- Core Lab 8: Scientific Research Project (Science Fair, Toshiba Exploravision, or Young Naturalist projects)
- Scientific American Frontier Video, "Animal Einsteins," illustrates using controls (in Chem Room, BMH)
- NSTA/ConocoPhillips Search for Solutions Video Series
- A fudge recipe (or any other recipe) made without units of measurement reinforces the necessity of units
- Devise a procedure and calculate the Percent Moisture in Popcorn Kernels
- Other possible labs or activities:
- Hopping Popping Corn Lab
- Differentiate observations from inferences using the Styrofoam Cup/Acetone Activity